Animal agriculture is the most destructive industry on the planet. The good news is that you don’t have to be part of it. Simply choose to avoid consuming animal products and you will be taking a powerful stand for the planet.
- Animal agriculture is responsible for 51% of greenhouse gas emissions (compared to 13% for the transportation sector)
- A plant-based diet cuts your carbon footprint by 50%
- It takes 660 gallons of water to produce one hamburger (the equivalent of showering for 2 months!)
- Combined, meat and dairy production uses 1/3 of earth’s fresh water
Land Use, Deforestation and Species Extinction
- Animal agriculture is responsible for 91% of Amazon destruction and is the leading cause of species extinction and habitat destruction
- Livestock covers 45% of the earth’s total land and nearly half of the U.S. land
- Every minute, 7 million pounds of excrement are produced by animals raised for food – in the United States alone
- Animals farmed for food produce 130 times more waste than humans in the U.S.
- Animal agriculture is the leading cause of ocean dead zones
- For every 1 lb of fish caught, up to 5 lbs of unintended marine species (including dolphins, whales and seals) are caught and discarded as by-kill.
Want to do something good for the environment? Get started now!
Medical and nutrition experts agree that a plant-based diet is good for your health.
Your choices can have a positive impact on issues like climate change, world hunger and water shortages.
Check out what’s new to the plant-based scene!
Shopping list, meal plans and more!